Sunday, September 9, 2012

Week 3 Instructional Software

According to Roblyer & Doering (2007) there are five different types of instruction software strategies they are: drill and practice, tutorial, simulation, instructional game, and problem solving. These skills are leveled on Webb's Depth of Knowledge, starting with your most basic software to your more advanced critical thinking.

Drill and Practice is designed to give students quick feedback on basic skills. Drill and practice skills are used to develop memorization of certain skills and give the students immediate feedback of it they got the answers correct. This type of practice could be used for vocabulary words, multiplication facts, map practice. One website I have found successful in my classroom is Shepards Software for map practices of various countries. I like this site because it continue to progress the students from level 1 to level 5. Its starts at the Beginner and advances to Expert. So it continues to drill and practice the students on their countries on different levels. This was actually one of the ways I learned many of the countries in most continents when I was in college because I drilled and practiced.

Tutorial software is used to teach students the materials on their own. The students move at their own pace and continue to take assessments and complete activities to show mastery of specific topics. One of the websites I have experimented with in the tutorial aspect is USA TestPrep. USA TestPrep is a website that can be designed by standard and element of a content. The software provides teachers with access to video clips, mini quizzes, puzzles, explanation, and full assessments on specific elements. Students can log on to USA test prep and become familiar with the element on their own time. The teacher can also limit the amount of times the student can take the assessment. I like this website, and a number of teachers at my school have had success with this site. The only downfall of this site is that your school must subscribe to this site to have access to the materials. Another downfall, is that there can be some errors in alignment to the curriculum. This site should not be used to solely teach students, but as supplimental.

Simulation software is used to teach students how to follow steps in order to complete a task within the classroom. This is not one type of software I have a lot of experience with, but I know the Federal Reserve has come out with a lot of simulation types of software for the highschool economics class (that I do not teach), but it requires students to follow steps to understand key concepts. One simulation software that I would like to make available would be Congress for Kids because government concepts and the interworkings of our government are extremely complicated for Middle School students to grasp. This site is amazing because it gives the steps of the 3 branches of government and even the election process. What a perfect resource during an election year!

Instructional Game Software allows students to play games about the content and allows them to play the game while learning about specific topics. I have had a hard time with this one myself because it is hard to find games that align with the standards. I have found one game for Georgia history but have not tried it yet in my classroom because I am worried it won't make sense to my students. This particiular game is to take my students back in time and experience Georgia History. Georgia Flashback is a game I have considered introducing my students to. It literally is like traveling in a time traveling machine. Has anyone else experienced any other social studies instructional games that are beneficial to their students?

Problem-Solving software is used to teach problem solving skills to students. These types of software should incompass all of the other types of software along with it. I believe there is probably a limited amount of resources available for students to use in Social Studies but easier to create for math and science. I do not have any resources personally I currently have access to for problem solving skills that I am aware of in my content. However, according to the text, one tool students can use to solve geometry problems is a software called Sketchpad.


4 comments:

  1. This was a great post! Very detailed and informative and good sites to use in the classroom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!! Very informative! I am definitely looking into a few of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I teach PE, I think knowing about the government should be important to all students. I liked the Congress for Kids website as well.

    ReplyDelete