Saturday, September 22, 2012

Week 5: Good Digital Citzenship

In today's society it has become important to be a good digital citizen because of all the mishaps that can occur if you aren't aware of specific issues. This week at UWA, we as students had to investigate the variety of mishaps that occur using the internet and protecting yourself against malicious internet predators. One of the most common issues that I personally deal with on a regular basis is cyberbullying and cyberstalking. I am sure every teacher in the USA is familiar today with the issues that can occur on the internet, that students bring to school with them. If our students used proper etiquette rules, it would elevate some of their issues. I think that today as educators it is important for us to have our students become familiar with the proper etiquette for using the internet, social media sites, and become aware of the dangers of the internet.

I know that I personally will not respond to emails that I do not know, or open attachments from those certain sites. Identity theft is something that triggers fear in most people, but if you are familiar with all of the ways that your identity can be stolen, you can take necessary precautions. However, the precautions don't always ensure it won't happen to you.

Personally, I think it is best to be a good digital citizen and maintain a good reputation because I don't want anyone maliciously hacking into accounts or posting inappropriate information about me on the internet. I always believe, "what goes around, comes around" and I don't do it to others, so I don't want someone to turn around and do it to me. Plus, being an educator, you must protect yourself. Educators are held to a very high moral standard, and should always been seen in the highest respects. We have all heard of the teachers who post inappropriate pictures on their facebook or make inappropriate "tweets," and the excuse it that we are normal people too. Yes, we are normal people too, but to a certain extent. We are public figures, not just educators-- unfortunately. Student's don't want their teachers to be "normal people." We must maintain that distinction between ourselves and our students. This was a struggle for me when I started teaching because I was only 24, so I wanted to keep an active social life and my facebook... but you hear too many instances when teachers not held in the highest regards. I know, "Teaching is what I do, not who I am"-- but it really is who I am. I live for my students. I am there for the needs of my students and it is hard enough to earn respect. Once you've got your students respect, it's best to keep it, even if it means making personal sacrifices.

You can check out my Prezi using the following link. This was my assignment I created for "Good Digital Citizenship".

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree more about Facebook and Twitter. I just went ahead and deleted my facebook account to avoid that dilemma altogether. HaHa!

    ReplyDelete